Popular Posts This Week

Thursday 9 June 2011

Family keeps her going [victims of acid thrower]

Zuhaina Tengkis with her family

SEREMBAN: "Why did someone do such a horrific thing to me. I have never hurt or been enemies with anyone before this," cried Zuhaina Tengkis, 27, who was a victim of an acid attack in Mantin, near here, three months ago.

According to the victim's parents, Zuhaina had lost all hope to live after losing her eyesight in the attack.

"At times, I feel it is better for me to die than to trouble others. However, when I think of my husband and two children, I somehow manage to find the strength to continue.

"They are the ones who spur me on, though my world is in darkness now," she said when met at her home in Kampung Orang Asli Belihoi, Mantin, yesterday.

Present was state MCA chief Datuk Dr Yeow Chai Thiam.

Recalling the incident, Zuhaina said she was riding pillion on a motorcycle with her relative and was on her way to Mantin town about 8pm on March 2.

"We were going to see a friend who wanted to buy us dinner in Mantin as she had just got her pay.

"About 9.30pm, when we reached Lapang Sasar Mantin, after dinner, a motorcycle, with two men, came up from behind and overtook us.

"The pillion rider turned around and said 'hi' and suddenly threw some liquid which he was carrying in a drink box at my face," she said.

Although she felt a burning sensation, there was nothing she could do, except continue the journey home.

Her husband, Nor Azman Jani, 30, said he was at home taking care of their two children, Issac Alexander Julius, 9 and Jemimah, 7.

"I was shocked when I heard my wife screaming and rushed to a neighbour's house to get help.

"We then rushed my wife to the Seremban Hospital and later had her transferred to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital," he said, adding that his wife only returned home on May 27.

Meanwhile, Dr Yeow, who donated RM500 to the family, said he would do his best to get Zuhaina the kind of help she needed, if possible to restore her eyesight.

source : nst

No comments: